What is KTET?
Kerala Teaching Eligibility Test (KTET) is a state-level examination conducted by the Kerala Government Education Board. It is an eligibility test for the aspirants who wish to apply for a teaching position in government-administered schools and agencies. The exam is conducted twice every year and has an objective-type question format. For being eligible to apply for a teaching post, candidates need to pass a certain cut-off score. It tests the candidate’s subject knowledge and teaching skills to qualify for the tasks involved in the teaching profession.
This exam is divided into four categories based on levels of teaching. These are:
- Category I – For Classes 1 to 5, i.e., Lower Primary Section
- Category II – For Classes 6 to 8, i.e., Upper Primary Section
- Category III – For Classes 8 to 10, i.e., High School
- Category IV – For Language or Specialist, Physical Education Teaching aspirants
KTET Official Website – The Contents
The KTET official website is designed to help the aspirants find the relevant details easily. It also provides several model questions and papers that could aid candidates with their preparations. It mainly has 5 sections –
The Home or Dashboard Section – It has answer keys to the recently completed exams, candidate login, and exam results. This page gives live notifications of results and also gives timetable details of upcoming exams.
The Notification Section – It gives information on the latest exam timetable and related notifications.
The Result Section – This section has all the results of previous exams. It consists of results up to the last 5 to 6 years of all candidates. Candidates can find their online scorecards from this page.
The Syllabus Section – The syllabus section consists of all the important topics and a complete syllabus of the subjects that are involved. This is divided into the four categories as mentioned above. Each category has a different subject-wise syllabus.
The Model Question Section – The sample questions are available in this section. It is mainly meant for candidates to understand the type of questions and for practice purposes. These questions are available category-wise.
Apart from these, candidates can also find help and support links on the KTET official website. Links for other functionalities are also available here, such as the eligibility criteria, application number-related queries and other such relevant details.
What are the Subjects Included in KTET?
As shown on the KTET official website, the exam consists of a number of subjects. Further, there are also internal options. Listed below are the major subjects that are divided into four categories:
- Child Development and Pedagogy
- Mathematics/Science/Social Science
- Environmental studies – For Category I
- Language I (Tamil/Kannada/Malayalam)
- Language II (English/Arabic) – For Category I
Category III consists of Adolescent Psychology, Theories of Learning, and Teaching Aptitude instead of Child Development and Pedagogy.
How to Prepare for KTET?
- To prepare for KTET, find the mode of preparation that works for you. It can be either online or offline.
- If opting for online mode, choose a platform that offers the correct and clear guidance. The major benefit of an online platform is that you can study at your own pace.
- PDFs, E-books, Mock tests, Video lectures, and Test series are some of the online study material types. You can also find some material on the KTET official website.
- You should be well aware of the syllabus, important topics and scoring areas.
- Look for reference books that are written by experienced faculty.
- Appear for mock tests.
- Always refer to previous years’ question papers.
The score in the KTET exam determines the candidate’s eligibility for the teaching post. Having a higher score helps achieve the teaching post much more easily. It is mandatory for all teaching aspirants in Kerala. For scoring well, a good preparation strategy is key. Candidates need to allot a specific schedule based on the mode of preparation. Also, having a profound knowledge of the important topics is necessary.
The 2021 KTET exam was held recently in September. The result of the same is still awaited. There are innumerable platforms available for preparing for the KTET examination. Mock tests could help revise the contents of the syllabus. Model questions are also available on the KTET official website.
The KTET certificate stays valid for an entire lifetime. However, candidates who wish to improve their scores may appear for the exam as many times as they wish.