TGT: An overview
Trained Graduate Teacher, popularly known as the TGT, is a term commonly used for teaching staff whose training the teacher role has been completed. Unlike the common misconception, TGT is not a course but refers to a graduate trained in teacher education. If an individual has completed their graduation along with a B.ed, then those candidates are known to be Trained Graduate Teachers, and there is no other specific teacher training to be a Trained Graduate Teacher.
Understand and digitize school operations with Teachmint and its features like the library management system for efficient school management.
Any trained graduate teacher will be eligible to teach students up to 10th grade. Now that we have an idea of what TGT is, let us take a closer look into all the criteria of eligibility that are required to be named as a Trained Graduate Teacher.
- The candidates must be a citizen of India and should contain all the original documents for proof, if necessary.
- Refugees who migrated to India before January 1, 1962, and settled here permanently can take the test.
- The minimum age limit before acquiring the Trained Graduate Teacher title is 21 years.
- The maximum age limit to take the test is 35 years for any candidate.
There is no limit to the no. of times one can take the test as per the rules laid down by the TGT governing board. However, a candidate is allowed to take the test irrespective of the no. of attempts only when they fulfill other eligibility criteria.
- Candidates must be graduates if they are willing to apply for the TGT.
- Along with graduation, they must be trained and certified in education-related courses like B.ed.
- A candidate must score a minimum of 50 percent grade in their chosen field of graduation.
- Candidates must have cleared CTET / NET in the related subject.
- Candidates must be proficient in English, Hindi, and their chosen language.
Know more about LMS and how it can help in seamless school operations management.
The TGT governing board releases updated category-wise cut-offs on their official website. The candidates can directly check their respective cut-off marks on the website once they are released, and it can be done as follows:
- Visit the official website of TGT.
- Upon loading the homepage, click on the TGT latest cut-off option appearing on the left side of the page.
- After clicking the cut-offs, select your designed post and go to that link.
- The cut-off PDF will now be displayed on your screen.
- You can check the cut-off marks of your respective post and category.
- You can also download your post’s cut-off document for further use and future reference.
The cut-off is usually calculated as per the total no. of subject-wise vacancies, marks, and the number of applications in that particular year. The main factors affecting the cut-off are:
- The total number of applications
- Number of vacancies
- The difficulty level of the paper
- The average scores of the candidates
TGT Expected Cut Off 2021
Now, let us look into the expected TGT cut-off for this year so candidates can better assess their plans.
|Orthopedically Handicapped||390-450 Marks|
|Visually Handicapped||330-450 Marks|
All the cut-off marks shown above are calculated for all the subjects a candidate has taken the test for. There are vast subjects in TGT a candidate can choose from like English, Urdu, Hindi, Sanskrit, Mathematics, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Commerce, Social science, etc.
The expected subject-wise cut off Marks for 2021 are given below:
|English||60 – 66||55 – 61||50 – 55|
|Urdu||55 – 61||54 – 59||48 – 53|
|Hindi||60 – 66||56 – 61||49 – 54|
|Science||72 – 77||68 – 73||60 – 66|
|Music||55 – 61||51 – 56||47 – 53|
|Home Science||45 – 51||40 – 45||37 – 43|
|Physical Education||67 – 72||62 – 68||57 – 63|
|Biology||66 – 72||62 – 67||60 – 66|
|Maths||61 – 66||56 – 61||50 – 56|
|Sewing||68 – 73||65 – 70||60 – 66|
|Spinning||68 – 73||65 – 70||60 – 65|
|Art||62 – 67||56 – 61||52 – 57|
|Agriculture||66 – 71||62 – 68||58 – 64|
|Social||72 – 78||68 – 73||65 – 71|
|Music||58 – 64||56 – 61||50 – 56|
|Sanskrit||61 – 66||58 – 63||51 – 57|
|Commerce||57 – 63||52 – 57||50 – 54|
- The TGT entrance test has 10% weightage in the overall selection process.
- The interview round has a total weightage of 10%.
- The remaining 5% marks will be for the previous education percentages.
To get a better idea of the cut-offs, let’s look into the previous year’s merit marks that will help candidates be more prepared for their upcoming TGT exam.
|Hindi||415 – 425 Marks||400 – 410 Marks|
|English||375 – 385 Marks||345 – 355 Marks|
|Sanskrit||390 – 410 Marks||370 – 380 Marks|
|Urdu||350 – 360 Marks||340 – 350 Marks|
|Science||360 – 370 Marks||355 – 365 Marks|
|Biology||358 – 370 Marks||352 – 365 Marks|
|Maths||330 – 340 Marks||325 – 335 Marks|
|Home Science||390 – 410 Marks||370 – 380 Marks|
|Social Science||415 – 425 Marks||400 – 410 Marks|
|Art||410 – 425 Marks||400 – 410 Marks|
|Music||415 – 425 Marks||400 – 410 Marks|
|Commerce||410 – 420 Marks||380 – 390 Marks|
|Agriculture||415 – 425 Marks||400 – 410 Marks|
|Physical Education||400 – 420 Marks||390 – 410 Marks|
|Sewing||390 – 395 Marks||380 – 370 Marks|
TGT: How to Pass the Exam
Like any other competitive exam, TGT will also have its own challenges, and one needs to prepare well in advance to stand out and be eligible for the job. However, with the right amount of strategy, planning, preparation, and knowledge of the test, a candidate can pass the test in flying colors and get placed in their dream job.
- Know the syllabus and the pattern of the exam clearly.
- Prepare a thorough study timetable according to the syllabus and stick to it.
- Make short notes while preparing and use the same during the revision period.
- Take mock tests, solve previous papers and topic-wise questions for evaluating your understanding of the subjects.
- Start revising the completed syllabus a few days before the exam.
With this, we hope you got a clear idea of the TGT, TGT cut-off, exam pattern, etc. For more such information about the TGT and useful content, keep reading our blogs at Teach Mint. Teach Mint is the one-stop ed-tech destination for all the teaching-related competitive exams in the country, where each candidate is trained uniquely to stand out of the crowd.