The Indian Subcontinent is a land of vast opportunities, especially in the field of teaching. Teachers are the backbone of the country who prepare the children for a bright future. A teacher must have proper training and qualification to impart the right knowledge and skills to the students. It is with this vision that the Government Of India introduced the TET exams in the country.
What Is a TET Exam?
The Teacher Eligibility Test or TET is a compulsory test for those applying for Government teaching jobs in India for primary classes. The TET is a government-held exam administered by the central and state governments. The Government of India instituted the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) in 2011 to improve teaching standards in the country and ensure that teachers possessed the skills and knowledge to be the best in the field. Teachers who were already employed were required to pass the exam within two years.
Each state administers its own TET exam, allowing the people from the state to appear for the exam within the state of their choice.
What is a CGTET Exam?
CGTET is the Chhatisgarh Teacher Eligibility Test, conducted by the Chhattisgarh Professional Examination Board, Raipur. An applicant must take and pass the CGTET examination to work in a government or private school in the state of Chattisgarh. The CGTET test is held once a year in two fully separate shifts for Paper I and Paper II, just like the other state exams. The CGTET Paper I is conducted for the candidates applying for the position of primary teachers (classes 1 to 5), while the CGTET Paper II is conducted for the candidates applying for the position of secondary teachers (classes 6 to 12).
Eligibility criteria for CGTET
Before appearing for the prestigious CGTET examination, the candidate must check the eligibility criteria to determine whether they are eligible to be an applicant for the exam. The CGTET has no age limitations but requires the candidate to have the below-mentioned qualifications to appear for the exam:
- A Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) or a Bachelor in Pedagogy with a minimum of 50% marks.
- A two-year diploma or a graduation certificate in primary education.
- Any candidate applying for the position of a primary teacher must possess a minimum of 45% marks in their HSC exams (Higher Secondary Certificate) or equivalent to that, or the candidate should have a degree in B.A/B.Ed/B.Sc with a minimum of 50% marks.
- Any candidate applying for the upper classes must have a relevant degree in B.SC/B.AD/ D.ED with a minimum of 45 percent or at least 50 percent in their B.ED.
CGTET Examination Pattern
The CGTET is a prestigious exam held to test the skills of those planning to apply for teaching jobs.
In a CGTET exam, a candidate has to answer a total of 300 questions; 150 questions in paper I and 150 questions in paper II. All questions in the CGTET exam are multiple-choice questions with four choices. The applicant is required to select only one correct option. There is no negative marking in the CGTET exam. The duration of the exam is two and a half hours for each paper. The candidate gets ample time to complete the paper since there is no lengthy writing required.
Tips to Prepare for CGTET
Like any other TET exam, a candidate needs to prepare before sitting for the exam. The CGTET tests the knowledge of the candidate in various subjects like Geography, Language, Psychology, Environmental Studies, Mathematics, Science, History, etc. Each subject comprises diverse topics which the candidate must be well versed with. Here is a list of useful tips for people planning to apply for the CGTET exam:
- Before you begin your preparation, go over the syllabus thoroughly.
- There are many books available in the market, but only select high-quality reading material to prepare from.
- Make a tailored study schedule according to your needs that allows you to spend a significant amount of time studying each day.
- Do not be overwhelmed. Concentrate on improving your strengths and overcoming your flaws.
- Studying, revising, and practicing question papers on a particular topic should all be done at the same time to help you remember all the information better.
- For practice and first-hand experience, try to solve question papers from the previous years’ CGTET exams.
- When the exam date approaches, make sure you eat well and get enough sleep to be physically and psychologically prepared to perform well.
The CGTET exam provides excellent scope for a teaching career once the candidate has successfully cleared the exam. It not only enables you to be eligible for a government job but also prepares you for high-ranking jobs like Headmaster. Anyone searching for the right direction to advance their teaching career should prepare for a TET exam to climb the ladder of success.