The Post Graduate Teacher (PGT) exam is a state-level exam that is conducted by various states across India. Candidates interested in teaching classes 11 and 12 can appear for the exam. The exam is conducted once a year at various allocated centers throughout the states.
Understand and digitize school operations with Teachmint and its features like the performance management for efficient school management.
The PGT exam comprises two parts- a written exam and an interview. Candidates first need to qualify for the written exam to be eligible to sit for the interview. If the candidate qualifies for the interview, they are then eligible for the job. All the details regarding the dates, syllabus and important notifications are available at various state PGT websites.
The PGT exam consists of a vast syllabus that must be covered by the candidates in order to qualify the written exam. Candidates need to adopt several strategies that will help them to score better marks in the exam.
Things to learn from PGT toppers
The PGT toppers have a specific strategy and preparation routine that helps them score higher marks in the exam. A few things that must be learned and implemented from the PGT toppers are mentioned below.
- Downloading the syllabus of the exam and the exam pattern- This will help the candidates to get an idea about all the topics included in the syllabus. It will also help them plan a proper schedule to finish the syllabus. Knowledge of exam patterns will help the candidates with the types of questions that can be asked during the exam.
- Referring to good preparation materials- Candidates must always follow books that are recommended by the toppers. Since these books have been consulted by someone who has topped the exam, the topics covered can be considered to be helpful. Apart from books, candidates must also consult other study materials recommended by toppers and experts.
- Online mock tests- Only studying the syllabus will not be enough to score high marks in the PGT exam. Candidates must regularly give online mock tests after completing one or two topics. This will help them get an idea about how well their preparation is going.
- Regular revisions- Candidates must not only focus on studying new topics but should also revise old topics. This will help the candidate remember all the previously studied topics and will not create any extra pressure just prior to the exam.
- Preparing self-notes- Candidates must prepare self-notes that highlight the important points. These can be quite helpful during last moment revisions just before the exam.
- Time management- Candidates must know how to manage their time well. They must not dedicate all their time to studying as it can reduce efficiency. They must take regular breaks in between studies.
- Keeping calm- Candidates must try to keep themselves calm and relaxed during preparation and also during the exam. Most often, anxiety can lead to silly mistakes; therefore, candidates must try their best to avoid them.
Mistakes to avoid for PGT exam
Certain trivial mistakes during preparation as well as the exam must be avoided by the candidates in order to score high marks in the exam. A few of these mistakes are mentioned below.
- Avoiding distractions- Candidates must consciously make an effort to avoid distractions during studies as they can affect the focus of the candidates.
- Avoiding getting stuck with a single topic- Many times, candidates get stuck with a single topic due to difficulty or lack of interest. At such times candidates must move forward to a different topic.
- Avoiding silly mistakes- Candidates must keep themselves calm and relaxed on the day of the exam to avoid making silly mistakes that can lower the score.
- Avoiding shortcuts- Candidates must avoid shortcuts during preparation as they never help to score good marks in the exam.
PGT exam pattern
- The duration of the exam is 2 hours, and the maximum marks of the exam are 425.
- The question paper consists only of multiple-choice questions (MCQs) that have four options. The total number of questions are 125.
- For each correct answer, candidates are awarded 3.4 marks, while no negative marks are given for incorrect answers.
- The mode of exam is offline, and candidates need to give the exam from allotted centers.
- Candidates need to answer questions only on the specialized subject that is chosen by them. Questions pertaining to other topics or subjects are not asked in the exam.
Know more about LMS and how it can help in seamless school operations management.