KTET is a critical examination to assess the quality of teachers for different classes in Kerala. Read more to find out the details about the KTET eligibility.
The Kerala Teachers Eligibility Test (KTET) is a certification exam for candidates interested in teaching in schools located in Kerala. The KTET exam is conducted by the Office of the Commissioner for Government Examinations in Kerala. A different body sets the rules and regulations of the KTET exam; the State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT), Kerala. The guidelines are also set by the Department of General Education, the National Council for Teacher Education, and the Government of Kerala.
The KTET exam consists of four different categories. These categories are:
Category I for lower primary classes.
Category II for upper primary classes.
Category III for high school classes.
Category IV for Language Teachers, Specialist Teachers and Physical Education Teachers.
As the KTET exam is conducted for different categories of teachers, different eligibility criteria exist for each category. The details of the eligibility criteria of each of the categories are given below.
KTET Eligibility for Category I
The candidate must score a minimum of 45 percent marks in their Higher Secondary examination and 2 years trained teacher’s certificate issued by the Kerala Board of Examination or its equivalent.
The candidate must score a minimum of 45 percent marks in Higher Secondary and 2-year Diploma in Elementary Education that is in accordance with NCTE rules and regulations, 2002.
The candidate must score a minimum of 50 percent marks in Higher Secondary along with a 4 year Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education.
The candidate must score a minimum of 50 percent marks in their Higher Secondary and a 2-year Diploma in Special Education.
KTET Eligibility for Category II
The candidates should have a B.Com/B.Sc./BA degree and a 2-year Diploma in Elementary Education/ Teacher’s Training conducted by the Kerala Board of Education or its equivalent.
The candidate should have a minimum of 45 percent marks in B.Com/B.Sc./BA and a B.Ed degree (1 year) according to the NCTE rules and regulations.
The candidates should have a minimum of 50 percent marks in Higher Secondary along with a 4-year course in Bachelor’s in Elementary Education (B.EI.Ed).
The candidates should have a minimum of 50 percent marks in Higher Secondary and should have qualified B.S/B.Sc or B.Sc. B.Ed or B.A. B.Ed.
KTET Eligibility for Category III
The candidates should have a minimum of 45 percent marks in B.A/B.Com/B.Sc., along with a B.Ed Degree in the concerned subject from recognized universities of Kerala or its equivalent.
Candidates applying for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Zoology, and Botany need to have a minimum of 50 percent marks in M.Sc. Ed. degree from one of the Regional Institutes of Education under NCERT.
Candidates with a B.A. degree must have a minimum of 45 percent marks and also qualify LTTC.
KTET Eligibility for Category IV
- Candidates interested in the post of Language Teacher must have specific and required qualifications in Hindi, Arabic, Sanskrit, and Urdu (up to upper primary classes)
- Physical education and Specialist Teachers must adhere to the qualifications provided by the Kerala education act and rules.
Relaxation in KTET Eligibility
Candidates who belong to SC/ST and differently-abled categories are eligible for 5 percent relaxation in the qualifying marks. OBC and OEC candidates are offered a 3 percent relaxation in qualifying marks.
KTET Exam Pattern
The KTET exam pattern is as follows:
- The exam takes place in offline mode.
- The exam comprises three papers with multiple-choice questions.
- The exam’s total marks are 150. One mark is allotted to each question. There is no negative marking.
Other Important Points Regarding the KTET Exam
- The exam does not have an age limit. Candidates belonging to any age group can sit for the exam.
- The KTET exam offers infinite attempts to the eligible candidates. Candidates who have given the exam once can give it again to improve their score.
- The validity of the KTET qualifying certificate is for a lifetime.
- Application for the exam takes place online through the official website.
- Candidates must carry their admit cards on the day of the exam.
Teachmint offers educational infrastructure to improve the teaching-learning experience. With the help of our tools like admission management system, teachers and staff can reduce their workload. Know more about us and our offerings like learning management system by visiting our website.