Detention is a process whereby a state or private citizen withholds the rights of a person. It takes away the freedom and liberty of the concerned individual. It can occur because of a pending criminal charge or to protect a person or property. However, detention does not always result in putting a person behind bars. Understand and digitize school operations with Teachmint and its features like the fee management system for efficient school management.
The dictionary definition of detention is the action of detaining someone or the state of being detained in official custody. The word also holds a place in the education system. Here, the term means the punishment of being kept in school after regular school hours. However, the crucial question here is that is this process effective for school kids?
Some evidence shows that detention can control behavioral problems in some students. However, it is not always helpful for every kid. Then how can schools solve behavioral problems in students? Is there a way to structure the process? Read the best books for students.
Here are a few points to support the structuring of the detention process. The structure may include:
- It must be supervised by a teacher or staff member with experience in behavioral management. However, finding trained teachers for supervision may become challenging for certain schools.
- The process of retaining students after school hours should never replace instructional time.
- Detained students must not be kept in the same center. Sharing the same place can lead to “trading ideas” and learning different ways to attract troubles.
- The environment should not be the one that students view as reinforcing.
- It should be viewed as a learning opportunity for students. It should encourage the flow of ideas and information.
Know more about LMS and how it can help in seamless school operations management.