Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education, more popularly referred to by its abbreviation CGBSE, was established and has been operating since 2001. It conducted its first public exam in 2002, with more than eight lakh students registering to appear for the X and XII examinations every year.
The CGBSE sets the syllabus, exam dates, exam pattern, and publishes the result for both Classes 10th and 12th board exams in the state of Chhatisgarh. Every written paper is conducted for 100 marks, with 75 marks allotted for theory and 25 marks allotted for the project. The lab exams are conducted separately.
The Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education conducts the examinations for the Chhatisgarh Board for classes X and XII every year in the months of February and March. The CGBSE was formerly known as the Chhattisgarh Government School Education Department.
Other than conducting exams, the CG board promotes and develops secondary education in the state, providing affiliations to all the schools in the state, proposing a strict curriculum, the syllabus and books for studying, increasing the retention rate, improving the quality of education, etc. Some of their functions are given below.
- Ensure uniform standards for secondary and higher secondary education
- Coordinate the national policies with those of the state in accordance with secondary and higher secondary education
- Bring about coordination between primary, secondary, higher secondary, and university education
- Grant affiliation to aspiring schools
- Prescribe textbooks and courses for all levels of education