AIIMS Bhubaneswar is an institute of national importance established under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna. The foundation stone of this apex institute was laid by then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on July 15, 2003. He wanted to launch superior healthcare facilities in underserved areas of the country. BBSR AIIMS is an autonomous institution that provides quality medical facilities to everyone.
BBSR AIIMS was established to fulfill the following objectives:
- To attain self-sufficiency in providing postgraduate medical education.
- To bring the highest educational facilities to one place. Moreover, the focus is on the training of personnel and preparing them for different health activities.
- To develop teaching patterns in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education.
BBSR AIIMS performs the following functions to bring quality medical care facilities to everyone.
- Provide teacher training and help them prepare for different medical colleges in India.
- Establish and maintain a dental college.
- Establish and maintain a nursing college.
- Establish and maintain rural and urban health organizations and help them research community health problems.
- Provide quality education to undergraduate and postgraduate students in the field of modern medicine and allied sciences.
- Provide facilities to help in the research work.
- Provide opportunities for the teaching of humanities in undergraduate courses.
- Prescribe courses and curricula for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
BBSR AIIMS campus is spread over acres of land. Students can enjoy their campus life and studies while residing on this enormous campus. Medical students can choose from a range of courses to pursue their undergraduate and postgraduate degrees.