PGT exam is held for people who aspire to become post-graduate teachers. The post-graduate teachers teach the senior secondary and higher secondary students. This exam raises possibilities for the aspirants to get selected as government school teachers. There is a huge opportunity in the teaching field; even aspirants are in the position to get a good pay scale from private and government schools.
Understand and digitize school operations with Teachmint and its features like the performance management for efficient school management.
The PGT exam helps the teachers to get a great idea or a blueprint about the education system. It will make them aware of their duties and responsibilities to fulfill as teachers. PGT exam has the feature of giving maximum advantage with minimum effort.
To become a PG teacher, you need to meet the minimum qualification, which we shall discuss in the article. The qualified aspirants of the PGT exam can apply to both private and government institutions. To become a government school teacher, you need to qualify for the state-level exam to grab the opportunity.
But for private institutions, the qualification of this exam is sufficient to get the teacher’s job. Further, the promotion and the increment will be based on the experience of teaching and performance in the field.
Eligibility criteria for applying for the PGT exam
The criteria depend on your qualification, and the eligibility criteria are the same for the private and government institutes. But some institutes ask to meet certain additional qualifications, which you need to prepare accordingly.
The following are the primary PGT eligibility conditions:
- A candidate must have a postgraduate degree in the concerned subject.
- The candidates can apply only for their concerned subjects (if you had done your PG from history then, he/she is eligible for applying for history subject only).
- They should have completed their B.Ed.
- The candidates must have attained at least 50% marks in their PG from a recognized university.
- The candidate must be of Indian nationality.
Apart from the above criteria, if a candidate wants to apply for the government school teacher position then, he has to give an entrance exam that can be either at the state level or the national level. Also, the candidates are needed to meet the prescribed age limit for becoming a government teacher.
The age limit for applying for the PGT exam is:
- The minimum age limit is 21 years
- The maximum age limit is 40 years
Anyone who doesn’t fit the above age limit can not apply for the PGT exam.
Age relaxation for SC/ST and other categories as applicable under the Govt. of India Rules:
- For SC/ST – 5 years
- For OBC – 3 years
- For Women (all category candidates) – 10 years
Additional conditions to apply for PGT Exam are
- Candidates should be proficient in both Hindi and English language.
- Desirable knowledge of computer and computer applications.
- Sometimes you are also needed to be proficient in the state’s native language.
PGT Exam Selection Process
The selection process of the exam is divided into three phases.
- Written Test (consists 85% Marks)
- Personal Interview (consists 10% Marks)
- Special Qualification (consists 5% Marks)
The first phase is a written exam with multiple-choice questions with a total of 500 marks. Candidates are awarded 3.4 marks for each correct answer. The written examination consists of two parts:
- Part-I consists of two subjects (General Hindi and General English). This part is to check the proficiency and command of candidates in the respective subjects.
- Part-II consists of general knowledge and current affairs subjects and concerned subjects of your PG.
The exam duration is 120 minutes (i.e., 2 hours), and candidates should try to attain higher marks to be eligible for the next phase.
The second phase is a personal interview with the examination board. Candidates are rated as per their general knowledge, personality, and ability to express themselves in front of the interview panel.
The last stage of the selection process is the special qualification. Candidates are awarded marks based on their educational qualifications. The following criteria are used for marking the candidates:
- Ph.D.: 2% Marks Weightage
- M.Ed: 2% Marks Weightage
- B.Ed: 1% Marks Weightage
- Sports participation at the national level: 1%
- Expected cut-off marks for written examination (out of 425 marks)
- General – 300 to 320 marks
- EWS – 300 to 310 marks
- OBC – 280 to 300 marks
- SC – 260 to 280 marks
- ST – 240 to 260 marks
Cut-off varies as per the exam every year.
The initial salary of a PGT in a government institution is around Rs. 45000 – 50000. It is a good amount as a fresher, to begin with. With the experience and passing time, the salary can hike up to Rs 1.7 lakh, a considerable amount to earn in the teaching field.
These are the details you need to know if you aspire to become a post graduate teacher. Hope you found the article helpful.
Know more about LMS and how it can help in seamless school operations management.