What does PGT stand for?
PGT is an abbreviation of Post Graduate Teacher. PGT candidates should possess a Post Graduate degree after B.A., B.Sc., i.e., M.A., M.Sc. in any stream or subject and Bachelor of Education degree, with 50% marks or above in aggregate from a recognized university or institution. PGT teaches at the senior secondary level, i.e., for classes 11th & 12th.
Understand and digitize school operations with Teachmint and its features like the performance management for efficient school management.
PGT’s responsibility is to teach higher-level classes. Therefore, they receive the highest salary in the school education sector. Also, public schools offer opportunities to those who aspire to be PGT.
The field of teaching is one of the most common occupations. The sector has excellent job opportunities for emerging professionals. It is one of the most respected roles, where you can earn big profits with minimal effort. To become a PGT, you must meet a minimum qualification requirement. This is the highest position of a teacher in teaching school education.
Read the evaluation methodologies and outcomes. Also, read everything about the hybrid learning.
You can apply at private or public institutions. You need to qualify for a state examination to do your job in a public school. However, the salary package will be more than that in a private institution. In the case of private schools, you do not need to qualify for any entrance exams. As a PGT, you are qualified to teach high school classes. But your promotion will be based on your experience.
How is PGT Different From TGT?
The national government is conducting a Teacher Training (TGT) examination. Applicants who want to teach primary and secondary (5 – 10) classes at a public school must apply for the TGT exam.
The main difference is that TGT is a qualified teacher with a degree (in any broadcast) or equivalent to a recognized university with 50% or more marks in total and in the subject matter, and B.Ed and PGT are qualified teachers with at least 50% total marks in their graduation.
TGT is suitable for teaching up to the 10th grade, and PGT is ideal for the 12th grade. Some assessments organized by the Central Board Of Secondary Education are compulsory for both TGT and PGT in public and private schools.
Syllabus for PGT Exam
Candidates can download the PDF syllabus of PGT 2021 from the commission’s official website. The commission conducts written examinations as part of the selection process, and the written test syllabus is listed below. Students must go through it carefully to prepare for the test strategy.
The following are the topics for General Studies topics:
- General Polity
- Current Events
- History Related to State
- Indian Constitution
- Scientific Research.
The topics of Quantitative Aptitude which will be covered for the PGT Exam are listed below:
- Profit and Loss
- Problems on Ages
- Data Interpretation
The topics of English language which will be covered for the PGT Exam are listed below:
- Sentence Rearrangement
- Fill in the Blanks
- Unseen Passages
- Comprehension, Error Correction, Phrases
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Sentence Rearrangement
The candidates have to choose a concerned subject:
- English, Hindi
- Physical Education
- Military Science
- Mental Ability
- Home Science
Marking Scheme and Preparation Strategy
The PGT test pattern highlights the number of questions in the test, the marks allocated to each question, the total duration, and much more. The PGT test pattern is as follows:
- A written test is in the Multiple Choice Questions paper pattern.
- There are a total of 125 questions.
- The total number of high marks in the written test is 425.
- For each question, 3.4 marks were awarded.
- The test lasts for 2 hours.
- No negative marking.
- 50 marks are allocated for interviews and 25 marks for special qualification.
Before embarking on the preparation of a written examination, candidates must have an examination strategy. Below are some tips for preparing a written test for PGT.
- The first step is to understand the PGT Exam syllabus to develop an intelligent learning schedule on a topic and identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Students should be familiar with the PGT exam pattern to gain insight into details such as the total number of questions, marking system, duration, and much more.
- Downloading last year’s question papers helps you to measure the difficulty level of the exam.
- Go and do as many mock tests as you can to build confidence in the test level.
Include the three main goals in your preparation strategy as well.
- Improve your vocabulary: Take the help of Thesaurus, Glossary, and Flashcards online to improve your vocabulary knowledge. These are a few of the many ways to learn and memorize words. Keep a notebook in your pocket where you can write a few words every day, say 10-20. Most importantly, you should check the list regularly.
- Improve your English grammar: The understanding of grammar is necessary to attempt the questions in the section – ‘English Language and Comprehension. These types of questions are prevalent in all competing tests and often come in the form of questions such as ‘spotting errors.’ Spotting an error in a sentence is a step-by-step process. Learners must follow the rules of grammar while resolving such questions.
- Improve Your Reading Comprehension: To break the cycle of reading comprehension and improve reading skills, there is a great need to improve daily reading habits. You prefer to read the newspaper and featured articles, ideas in editing books, business magazines, etc.
Education is the backbone of any country, where teachers play a crucial role in shaping the future of the child and the nation as well. However, getting the right qualifications and teacher training is essential. In India, from various types of work, teaching is one of the most desirable career options.
Depending on the ideas, thoughts, beliefs, learning, assertions that a person has gained from their teacher or mentor, future career choices are made or determined, so teaching work is the foundation of other careers. The development of a general personality and a prosperous future for the young mind depends entirely on the quality of teaching. Hence, PGT plays an important role in shaping the future of our country.
Know more about LMS and how it can help in seamless school operations management.