Do you wish to be a teacher and guide the young generation? Do you wish to teach young students of senior secondary classes? Then, you need to procure a PGT certificate. Now, what is a PGT certificate, how to get it, and all related questions will be answered right here.
What is the PGT certificate?
PGT certificate or Post-Graduate Teacher’s certificate must be procured by aspirants who wish to teach senior secondary or higher secondary classes, which is also known as secondary school teaching. The teachers with PGT certification have the highest salary in the school education field. In order to procure a PGT certificate and land your dream job, you need to qualify for the various teaching exams.
PGT Exams: A Brief
There are quite a few exams that can help you get the most desired PGT certificate. Some of them can help you get selected for government teaching positions.
Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan: Managed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan has around 1235 schools across the country. The organization is responsible for organizing PGT exams for candidates aspiring to become senior secondary class teachers.
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti: Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti is regulated by Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya which has plenty of schools in different locations of India. So, if you are a PGT certificate aspirant and fulfill all the eligibility criteria, you can apply for their PGT exams.
Uttar Pradesh Secondary Education Service Selection Board (UPSESSB): This board is responsible for conducting the PGT exams and recruiting teachers in the state.
Board of School Education Haryana: The Haryana Government also conducts the PGT exam, which is the level 3 category of their state’s teacher’s eligibility test, HTET (Haryana Teacher Eligibility Test), which is organized by the Board of School Education Haryana.
How to Get a PGT Certificate: Eligibility Criteria
To gain a PGT certificate and become a teacher in senior secondary schools, you must fulfill certain eligibility criteria. Be it for a teaching position at a government or private school, the eligibility criteria remain almost the same.
There is an age limit. Anyone in the range of 21 and 40 years can apply for the PGT exams. However, the age limit might slightly vary when it comes to certain private institutions.
The other eligibility criteria include:
- The PGT aspirant should have a post-graduation in the subject they wish to teach. For example, having a post-graduation in English does not imply teaching Maths. You can only teach the subject that you have a post-graduation in, which is English in this case.
- The candidates should have cleared their B.Ed course.
- They should have cleared their PG course with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized university.
- Candidates should be fluent in both Hindi and English.
- Last but not least, you will have to clear the entrance exam at a national or state level to attain your PGT certificate and land a job.
Validity of PGT Certificate
The validity of the PGT certificate depends on the exam you’ve opted to write. Generally, the PGT certificate’s validity ranges from 7 years to a lifetime.
Selection Process of PGT
Various states conduct a Teacher’s Eligibility Test (TET) to select the right PGT aspirants for the teaching positions. They will first issue a notification regarding the exam wherein all the important information will be provided. The candidates can skim through it, make sure that they meet all the eligibility criteria, and then apply.
After the application process, the board responsible for conducting the PGT exams will declare the exam date and release the admit card. The admit cards can be found on the board’s official website. The candidates need to make sure they have their admit card with them until the exam is over, as it is basically their entry pass to the examination hall.
The exams are usually conducted in offline mode. It generally consists of two parts.
- Part 1 will check your proficiency in two subjects which are General English and General Hindi.
- Part 2 will test your knowledge in current affairs and GK along with the topics related to your PG.
The selection process will also depend on an interview process along with the written exams.
Benefits of Obtaining a PGT Certificate
To start with, you will be able to fulfill your dream of teaching senior secondary classes. The other benefits of a PGT certificate include:
- You will be awarded a competitive monthly salary by the institution. The pay scale ranges from Rs. 47,600 to Rs.1,51,100.
- You will be entitled to a pension.
- You will also be entitled to medical facilities and paid holidays.
- Paternal and maternal leave will be sanctioned when necessary.
So, we’ve covered every detail you need to know about procuring a PGT certificate. Hope it helps. Best of luck!