Pre service teacher education is a program that prepares freshers for the teaching profession. This program aids crucial learning and helps future teachers create a holistic learning environment for students. It provides skills, knowledge, and attitude to conduct classes efficiently. The program is best suited for freshers who want to pursue a career in the education industry.
The objectives of the pre service teacher education program are:
- To help student teachers become competent and committed full-time teachers.
- To promote teachers as agents of modernization in the education system.
- To sensitize teachers towards the protection of human rights.
- To develop organizational and managerial skills.
- To develop the required skills, one needs to become an efficient teacher.
The pre service teacher education program is divided into two categories, namely:
- Elementary Level Teacher Education program
- Secondary Level Teacher Education program
Elementary Level programs award future teachers with diplomas. The upcoming teachers may complete the following diploma to teach the students in the elementary standards.
- Nursery Teachers’ Training (NTT)
- Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE)
- Diploma in Elementary Teaching Training (DETT)
- Bachelor of Elementary Education (B El Ed)
NTT and ECCE are two-year programs that prepare a student teacher to take on the education responsibilities at the pre-primary level. In contrast, B El Ed is a four-year degree program that helps student teachers to impart knowledge and skills to elementary standards. Teacher education is an ongoing process. The pre-service and in-service teacher education are complementary to each other. Future educators must undergo the required training to establish their careers in the education industry.