The Ministry of Education is responsible for the execution of the National Education Policy in the country. It was previously called the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The Ministry of Education’s mission is to enhance the education standards in the country by adding advanced teaching models and educating teachers of the same.
The Ministry of Education further divided into two categories which are as follows:
- The Department of School Education and Literacy
- The Department of Higher Education
The responsibility of primary education, adult education and higher literacy lies with the Department of School Education and Literacy. Simultaneously, the Department of Higher Education deals with university-level education, technical education, and scholarship programs.
Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre is currently the Deputy Minister of Education, R. Subrahmanyam is the Executive Minister, and Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank is the Education Minister of the country.
The New Education Policy was passed in 2020 by the union cabinet of ministers. Many educational institutes and bodies were legalized under the NEP 2020 by the Ministry of Education soon after its establishment.
The Ministry has the responsibility of:
- Implementing new strategies for education.
- Taking charge of creating new education departments and renewal of the same.
- Giving guidance to education bodies.
- Enhancing the higher education standard in the country, among others.