What is an M.Ed Program?
Master of Education (M.Ed) is a 2-year program available with various subjects and specialized areas to choose from. In order to be eligible to teach at a University or College level, it is essential to have an M.Ed degree. This program involves research work in Education, Social Studies, and Psychology to aid in teaching strategies. The M.Ed study syllabus is determined by the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE).
M.Ed Program- An Overview
The Master of Education (M.Ed) program is a 2-year degree program for anyone who aspires to apply for a teaching job. Candidates who wish to be an Education Counselor, Teacher, Headmaster, etc., must pass this course with a minimum eligible score first. It helps understand the various strategies and scientific activities to make learning more fun for students. The 2 years are divided into 4 semesters. The course fees can range anywhere between INR 40,000 to INR 80,000.
The exam is objective type. It consists of questions from –
- General Knowledge
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Reasoning and Logical Aptitude
- English Language
Eligibility Criteria – Master of Education
The Master of Education (M.Ed) degree is generally a preferred choice after B.Ed. To be eligible for the course, candidates should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- A minimum of 60% in any graduation program from a renowned University. Candidates from any stream are eligible to apply for the M.Ed program if they have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University.
- The above percentage is relaxed by around 5% for SC, ST, and OBC communities.
- The candidate should have completed a B.Ed degree program from a reputed UGC-approved University.
- Candidates who have done B.Ed from a Government University with 55% marks can also apply.
- Based on the Institute policies, candidates can pursue M.Ed if they are pursuing B.A.Ed (Bachelor of Arts in Education), B.Sc.Ed (Bachelor of Science in Education) or M.Sc.Ed (Master of Science in Education).
There are also a few entrance exams to get admission in an M.Ed degree program. These entrance exams are listed below:
- DUET 2021 – Delhi University Entrance Test is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). It is an online exam offering admissions in UG, PG, and Doctorate courses.
- BHU PET 2021 – Banaras Hindi University Post Graduate Entrance Test is an online test conducted in 200 cities in India.
- JUET 2021 – Jammu University Entrance Test is offered by the Jammu University, offering UG, PG, and PG Diploma admissions.
- AMU Test – Aligarh Muslim University Test is done in two ways, Departmental test (at Aligarh) and Entrance exam test (at designated centres).
- Lucknow University M.Ed Admission Test – The Lucknow University conducts the test, which consists of a written test followed by an interview session.
- Patna University M.Ed Entrance Test (MEET) – A minimum of 50% marks are required in one of the bachelor’s programs such as B.Ed. B.A.Ed./B.Sc.Ed. B.El.Ed or D.El.Ed./D.Ed is required to be eligible for MEET.
A Master of Education degree is a good way to widen your career options in the education field. The M.Ed degree holders could apply for the post of a Teacher in some specialized subject, Education Counselor, Professional Tutor, and much more. There are several top-quality Colleges and Universities in the country to pursue the same. Appearing for mock tests and attempting previous years’ papers could aid in strengthening your preparation strategy. A number of reference books are also available for the same.
All the best!