The Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree is for those considering pursuing a career in teaching and related fields. A B.Ed degree is a definite requirement for teaching in higher primary and secondary classes in schools.
As a B.Ed graduate, you can contribute to the skilled workforce. Good teachers are the foundation of a strong country. A good teacher imparts knowledge, education and skills. The B.Ed course helps you be a skillful professional who contributes actively to the teaching fraternity.
Duration of B.Ed
The Bachelors in Education is a two-year course. Several reputed universities across the country offer the B.Ed program as a full-time and distance course.
The eligibility criteria for doing the B.Ed course are:
- A recognized bachelor’s degree in B.A., B.Sc., B.Com and other degrees from a recognized university. One can also pursue a B.Ed degree after having a master’s degree.
- A minimum of 50 percent marks at graduation level.
Subjects under B.Ed
- Educational psychology
- Holistic education
- Guidance and counseling
- Philosophy of education
- Human values, culture and education
- Educational evaluation and assessment
Advantages of Pursuing a B.Ed Degree
- Several openings in teaching jobs: After pursuing a B.Ed degree, you will get numerous openings in the teaching fraternity. There are various job postings in government as well as the private sector. There are numerous wonderful opportunities in child care units, coaching institutes, private institutions, and online education firms.
- Career guides and counselors: Another lucrative offer for candidates of B.Ed degree is counseling. B.Ed graduates can be career counselors. A career counselor can help you understand your capabilities and suggest career paths based on your interests. They can guide students to make impactful career choices.
- Researchers: The world of research is always looking for fresh talent. As a B.Ed graduate, you can actively contribute to educational research in the field of your interest. Several university studies and grants are provided for researchers.
- Educational consultant: An educational consultant’s role involves guiding educational institutes to improve teaching procedures and pedagogy. They can also help you develop innovative processes that can enhance the overall performance of many educational institutes.
- Principal: As a B.Ed graduate, you can also become a principal in numerous prestigious institutes. As a principal, you can guide the school to achieving greater excellence. You can contribute to its success and fulfil learning and knowledge aspects.
- Private tutoring: Another well-paying teaching job is a private tutor. They can provide teaching services for various subjects to students privately and help them understand the subject better and perform well. There are several functional tuition classes that cater to the different needs of students.
- Higher studies: As a B.Ed graduate, you can also pursue higher studies. There are several degrees that can help you progress in your career. These include Masters of Education (M.Ed) and a PhD in Education. The M.Ed is a two-year program in education. It can help you understand different aspects of education and broaden your understanding with respect to your subjects.
You can also have a post-doctorate degree in education. This is the highest degree you can obtain. After this degree, you become eligible for various cooperative opportunities as well as the post of a professor in universities.
Bachelors of Education (B.Ed) is an excellent course that helps you gain an in-depth insight into the world of education. As a B.Ed graduate, you can become a teacher on a permanent, temporary or full-time basis. You can pursue higher research and contribute to building a skillful society with great moral values.
The salary packages of teachers are often very good and come with various additional benefits. You also contribute to shaping society by empowering young minds. After getting the degree, you will become equipped with skills to help you become a better teacher. Sectors, including the government and private sector, are always looking for good teachers.
Teaching has always been a most sought-after and respected profession. Teachers shoulder a huge responsibility of enlightening students’ lives and opening their minds to a world of possibilities.