The PGT exam is a state-level exam conducted by most of the states in India. This exam is conducted by the Secondary Education Service Selection Board of different states. It is suitable for candidates interested in teaching higher classes students at various government schools across different states. A PGT teacher generally is appointed for teaching classes 11 and 12.
The interested candidates need to appear for a written test. On qualification of the written test, candidates are called for interviews. Only those candidates who can clear both the written exam and interview rounds are considered to be qualified. The final merit list is published on various state PGTs’ official websites.
The PGT exam is conducted once a year at various designated exam centers across different states. The details regarding the PGT exam are mentioned below.
PGT Exam Application
The candidates interested in appearing for the PGT exam first need to submit an online application. The application form is available at various official state PGT websites. The application process can be described through the following steps:
- Candidates need to fill the application form with relevant details such as name, father’s name, date of birth, address, educational qualification, etc.
- Candidates need to upload their recent photographs along with other documents.
- Finally, candidates must pay the application fee online and submit the form. The application fee may vary depending on different categories.
PGT Exam Selection Procedure
The selection procedure for the PGT exam comprises the following stages:
- Written exam- The first step of the selection procedure is the written exam. Candidates need to qualify for the written exam, accounting for 85 percent weightage of the overall selection process.
- Interview- The second step of the selection procedure is the interview. Only those candidates who have qualified for the written exam are eligible for the interview round. The interview round comprises a 10 percent weightage of the overall selection procedure.
- Educational qualification- The third step of the selection procedure is the educational qualification. Candidates who have received higher education will be given the privilege. This step accounts for a 5 percent weightage of the overall selection procedure.
PGT Exam Eligibility
Candidates need to satisfy certain eligibility criteria to be able to appear for the PGT exam. The common eligibility criteria for the PGT exam are mentioned below.
- Candidates must be citizens of India and should not be less than 21 years of age.
- Candidates must have completed their Masters in English, Biology, Hindi, Chemistry or any other relevant subject along with B.Ed. or M.Ed.
- Candidates must have the same subject for their postgraduate and undergraduate.
PGT Exam Pattern
The details of the PGT exam pattern are given below.
- The exam is conducted in offline mode and consists of an objective-type test.
- The question paper comprises only multiple-choice questions (MCQs) with four options.
- The total time duration of the exam is 2 hours, and the total number of questions is 125. The maximum marks for the exam are 425.
- Each question of the paper comprises 3.4 marks. No negative marks are given for incorrect answers.
- Candidates who have opted for a particular subject are asked questions only from that particular subject.
PGT Exam Day Guidelines
Candidates must keep in mind certain important guidelines for the exam day. A few of the most important points are mentioned below:
- Candidates need to carry their admit cards along with proof of identities such as the Aadhar Card, Voter ID card, or PAN card on the day of the examination.
- Candidates are advised to reach the exam center, as mentioned in their admit cards, one hour before the exam.
- Candidates can use only a black ball-point pen for answering in the OMR sheet. No candidate is allowed to use correction fluid on the OMR sheet.
- Candidates cannot carry several specific items such as mobile phones, geometry boxes, earphones, calculators, study material, and bags inside the exam hall.
- All candidates must strictly follow the COVID-19 rules and regulations as advised by the exam center.
- No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall before the total time of the exam expires.